Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Obersvational sketches

During this fall semester I have learned alot of varieties of drawing techniques and shading.  This has definitely helped me develop my drawing abilities, because before this year I didn't really have much experience with drawing and sketching.  I have to say I have been surprised with myself so far.
For this observational sketch, we were drawing types of food.  Holly my fellow classmate had made these delicious chocolate cupcakes with white icing and green sprinkles.  Before consuming such a yummy treat, I sketched it, to add a sense of scale to the drawing I positioned my boot in the picture.  No worries though, I was very careful not to get any dirt on my cupcake.
With this sketch, we were to do self portraits and sketches of ourselves, so I played around with shading and was trying too hard to focus in the mirror, overall I did ok, I can see where I could use improvement in drawing features, because they are so complex.  I felt my sketch was stronger without doing and actual face outline and angling my head differently.
This sketch was just something for fun, I had just been introduced with charcoal and drawing with it.  So I did this tape dispenser.  I tried to capture the lighter parts where the light hit and tried to go darker with tones in the more shaded areas.  I feel overall pretty good about this sketch, considering I was just doing this for fun.  After I had done this sketch I actually learned about tonal drawing and how to capture the dark and light tones in a drawing to help create a more 3-D effect

 This is actually apart of choosing a two pages from another classmate that we find interesting.  I chose Paige, because I have observed throughout the semester she is a really good drawer.  She pays attention to detail and shading.  From this picture you can tell she picks all kinds of subjects to draw in a variety of ways.  I found this drawing fascinating, because of the composition.  When you first glance at it, you are not quite sure what you are seeing but you eyes are drawn all around the page by the repetitive lines, the diagonals within the drawing and just the shapes.  The second drawing is just very interesting because it is a very animated picture with exaggerated features that keep the viewers eye.  her use of shading and definition are very good and she payed alot of attention to details.

No comments:

Post a Comment